Established in 1868
Laughlin Service Funeral Home, founded in 1868 by the late James Burnett Laughlin, was originally located in Downtown Huntsville on the south side of the square. In 1892, Mr. Laughlin moved his funeral home to a brick building erected next to his home at the corner of W. Clinton and Gallatin Street. He operated his business until his death in 1906. His son, Humes Laughlin, continued in his father's business until his death in 1947.
In 1948, general manager John L. Purdy, purchased the funeral home, at our current location on Bob Wallace Avenue, from Liberty National Life Insurance Company of Birmingham, AL. In 1980, his son, John R. Purdy, became a partner.
John L. Purdy was recognized by the Alabama Funeral Directors Association with a 50 year service pin in 1988. The family partnership continued until John L. Purdy's death on July 2, 1996 at which time John R. Purdy became president. John's daughter, Loretta Spencer, became Secretary of the company shortly before his death. In 2005, Sarah Spencer Chappell, granddaughter and niece, joined the company continuing the family's commitment to Huntsville.